Connect with Me!

Conversations: Diverse Books

Friday, April 08, 2016 Geraldine 0 Comments



Welcome everyone, to the first ever Conversations! We (Joan @ Fiddler Blue and I) are so glad to be hosting Conversations, seeing people make friends, get to know others, and just have awesome conversations in general! 

This week, the topic is....Are there any particular diverse books you read more and why?

Diverse books I read
This is a really interesting topic for me. I actually don't read too many diverse books, to be honest! I think I like reading books about Chinese/South-East Asian characters, as well as books about mental illness.

Why I read these diverse books
I read books with Chinese/South-East Asian characters and backdrops because I connect with my culture in that way - I live in Australia now, so it's very difficult for me to get a true sense of where I came from, apart from reading these books. I make connections when I read these books to what my family life is like - for example, at home, my parents speak a dialect, Hokkien. I'm in the middle of reading a book with Cilla @ Paved With Books called Crazy Rich Asians, and I see bits of Hokkien interspersed, and Malaysia, and everything makes sense to me.
I haven't read tooo many books about mental illness so far - I've only started reading them in the past year or so, but I read thee books because I realised how big of an issue mental illness is. Someone I knew was mentally ill, and I wanted to know what they went through every day.

Diverse books I want to read and why I want to read them

A couple of months ago, I read Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns. I was hooked by it - I felt serious emotions, I connected to the struggle that Mariam and Laila went through. I'm hoping to read more books about Afghanistan, or else more books about Muslims in general - because in this current climate, I want diverse books that tell me how it might be like to be Muslim, what it's like to live in a country that is war-ravaged, how it must feel like to be a woman in such a country. I read to understand, to live a different life to my own. And diverse books are so important to me, because without them, I don't think I can even begin to understand how other people live their lives.

Let me know what diverse books you read more and why by either a) linking up below! or b) commenting below!





Keep reading and loving books!
Geraldine


Enjoyed reading this? You should definitely follow me to get more updates! 

You Might Also Like